The secure messaging service is available
Messages are transmitted via the SSH protocol, developed by Shazow on Github.
I did not make this brilliant piece of software, it was made by a person named Shazow who deserves all the credit. The software is just that good I wrote about it here. Please visit his Github profile for more of his stuff: https://github.com/shazow/.
Easily installed and hosted on your own machine, it has several options to run with:
- identity: A keyfile to Identify the server with. This is generally a good idea, security wise.
- admin: a txt file containing public keys.Clients who connect using the corresponding private key will have admin privileges.
- whitelist: a list containing public keys.Clients who connect using the corresponding private key will be allowed to join.If this option is omitted it will not be enforced.
- motd: A message that is displayed upon succesfully connecting to the server.
- log: Logs all transmitted messages to a specified file.There is no default log location, meaning if this option is omitted no log is kept of the chat history.
- bind: Bind to a specific IP and TCP Port.The default is 0.0.0.0:2022
./ssh-chat --identity /path/to/file --admin /path/to/file --whitelist /another/file/path --motd /you/ll/never/guess --log /many/paths/required/logfile.log --bind 0.0.0.0:22230
When connected, several commands are available:
- /exit Whereas exit normally terminates an ssh connection, a preceding / symbol is required to differentiate the command from normal text you might want to transmit.
- /names Lists usernames that are currently connected.
- /theme Choose a theme, currently available themes are:
/theme colors /theme solarized /theme hacker /theme mono
- /msg Send a private message to another connected client
/msg USER MESSAGE
- /reply Reply to the last private message you received
Typing this up I realise I like the verb To Transmit more then I probably should. Also that emphasising seems to be a better looking italic, but that is likely to be just my personal opinion.
Alright cool beans, but what servers can I connect to?
I run a private and a public one myself for no reason, one I also often visit is Shazow's own server